Phase II: Finish Wiring and wall covering

With all the insulation and base wiring completed, the next step to the project was to select the material to cover the walls with. Thanks to discussion on the thread on RV.net about it, I was able to get multiple suggestions of what to use. A couple suggestions that I liked were 4x8 Sheets of fiberglass impregnated board and 4x8 sheets of straight plastic board. Both were very nice, but at $19 & $29 a sheet, the cost put them out of my limited budget range for this project.

Click the Image for Full-Size Click the Image for Full-Size In the end, I decided on using a finished 4x8 luawann board that replicates the 1970s type interiors found on a lot of older campers and other similar era RVs. The benefit of this material is that is actually wood, smells nice, light-weight and inexpensive. But before I could even cut the wood, I needed to wire in the light so that I would have something to work by. You'll notice that the ceiling light and the board have been there since the first pictures. This is because I needed to get it so that the foam board on the ceiling wouldn't keep falling down because of gravity and vibration, so screwing a sheet of the wall board in place worked perfectly.

If ya look at the two sets of pictures you'll notice that in the ones taken in phase I the curved areas were still bare aluminum skin. And in the later ones these they are covered. FIlling this area was a bit of a dilemma that I solved that evening after much pondering and a bit of searching. The curved areas are now filled in with Carpet foam, cut to fit and glued in a couple layers thick (Not shown, as the second layer was added as the smaller pieces were put up to fill in the curved area.) While that foam may not give much insulation for heat, it does dampen sound a bit, which is what their use was intended for.

Click on the Image for Full-Size Click on the Image for Full-Size The interior light used is one meant for an actual camper, bought for $12 down at the local RV dealer (Highway Trailer). It works beautifully in illuminating the entire back with a single bulb to a brightness that one can easily read a book by. Thanks to some old scraps of Oak trimming my parents had removed from their kitchen, I was able to make some nice corner fillers.

<--- Back to Phase I | Home | Next to Phase III --->